Sunday, February 22, 2009

Shes Home!

Lindsey got to come home today! Yeah. One doctor told her she could not come home, and she was crushed, but then another one that specializes in kidneys and medicine for them said she was ok to go home as long as she stayed on antibiotics and came back for more CT scans. So she is home, but still recovering.
Now to catch up. Lindsey got to have her birthday in the hospital this year. No fun. But at least she felt up to visitors and some games....in the waiting room. They wont let the baby in past the waiting room, so we sang her happy birthday, had cake, and played games in the waiting room. Got some funny looks from other people in the waiting room when we sang happy birthday! Too bad for them. Laudies made a cake and brought some games, and we had a good time. Lindseys brother Kyle, (yep thats where the name kylee came from) was here to visit also before he goes for more training and deployment for the Marines. It was fun to have him here. Kylee thought he was really interesting too. She was either looking or smiling at him a lot.




The little squirt has been learning to use her hands lately. She loves to play in her chair and has figured out how to get it to play music. She loves to watch the lights, but is also interested in the camera. Now whenever she is doing something I want a picture of I have to sneak up on her or she just stares at the camera. This is another moment in her chair. Funny kid.




Richards air show was this saturday. (good timing huh?) The Laudies were kind enough to take Kylee for the day. (again, thanks so much!) Despite the wind it was a good show. Nice weather and a good crowd. The first picture has 2 planes that he brought and flew. Definately stole the show. Did his aerobatic routine with his big one, about a foot off the ground with smoke on, and that was a crowd pleaser. Then flew the P-38. It was flying great, the crowd loved it. Made a low pass (maybe 3 inches?) off the runway and did all the usual loops and rolls. Then turned for another loop and had no elevator control. A few seconds after I told the people around me I had a problem the whole plane exploded in the air. It was spectacular! The engines came down, and the rest rained down in pieces. So either by a good flight, or an airplane exploding in the air, definately stole the show.


Only read on if you want to know more about it......
According to the NTSB (and others who had a better view than me) the accident report states that the elevator developed flutter at high speed and caused the hinges to fail. When the elevator departed the airplane it took the elevator servo with it, which was mounted in a tail boom. When the servo ripped out it weakend the boom enough to cause airframe failure and rip the whole tail off. Once that happened, the plane pitched up violently, and ripped the right outboard wing off, as well as both booms from the wing back. Once again, at well over 100 mph it was spectacular.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Hope Lindsey is feeling better! That's terrible. I was thinking you must be a crazy pilot when I read about your stunts/smoke and then a plane blowing up...then I saw the pictures of the planes and relaxed! I was imagining you in a real plane....
Sounds like you are crazy!
Tara

Mom's Managery said...

Good show Richard!Good patient Lindsey!happy Birthday!!!good watcher Kylee!You all have had too much fun this week!Try to keep it down ok.

Tori said...

So glad she is home and doing better. Happy Birthday too....what a memorable one.

Anonymous said...

How's Lindsey doing? Wow, that's a lot to handle...I hope you guys are all well. Cool planes, Everett would go nuts over that. He wants to be an airplane pilot for now. (I told Chris to call your dad and ask him when he's going to go fly or see his plane again and they could tag-a-long, but then I thought that would be kinda rude, lol.) Anyway, about my other blog. Just bookmark it: it's here. Sorry, I'm just as organized as can be in any way I can (that's code for control-freak). You guys should start a blog over there...it's a great way to be remind yourself of all the great things that happen in a year. Well I'm only a few days in, but I think I won't regret it. :)